You know it when your fluffy friend is starting to getting old. It might not be as active as it used to be. You might not see the same enthusiasm when you throw for the ball for the 14th time.alright” and go for it for the last time, or you can see the expression of Murtaugh’s well known saying in its face.
There might even be the times it comes to that conclusion half way and stops to continue smelling flowers like a proper senior dog would!
I should know better because we currently go through the same phase with my nine years old golden retriever.
She put on some weight as it is harder for her the burn calories. She is much calmer, and it’s much easier to tire her down, which might be considered as a bittersweet upside of her aging.
Even though if she is getting old, some things never change though. That feud with the mailman seems like it will never end even if she gets to live until 120 dog ages old!
As my long-time companion reaches her golden (no pun intended) ages, I made it my priority to make her as comfortable as possible to give her a well-lived evening of life. Therefore, I decided to up the ante in every aspect of her life.
That’s why I spent considerable time to scour the internet to find some products to get her that will make her life more comfortable.
Since she spends 12-14 hours per day snoozing and does not radically differ so much from a koala in that aspect (as with age she is only going to spend much more time sleeping), I thought to start with throwing her shabby bed out and buying her a new orthopedic dog bed.
Before I get to the list I gathered for you about the orthopedic beds that you can pick from for your senior dog; I would first like to clarify whether it is necessary for you to get an orthopedic dog bed for your senior dog.
Is An Orthopedic Bed Necessary for My Senior Dog?
You probably remember the time you fell asleep on the couch when you were binging on your favorite show on Netflix and by the time you woke up in the middle of the night you hated the world for solid 30 seconds?
Now, think that it happens to you every time you get up because your old joints can’t take the worn out bed that has been around since when Mitt Romney was running for president. Also, you wake up for every high pitching sound from the sound that coffee maker makes to understanding your owner just got back from work because of the weird noise his/her car’s radiators make.
Of course, that might or might not be the case for your dog, and there is a very good chance that it does and will prefer to sleep on the freezing marble even to the highest quality orthopedic beds sometimes. However, I believe that it is still essential to get an orthopedic bed for your senior dog for a couple of reasons.
- Personal Space: Everyone needs personal space for themselves. Even if you share the place you live with someone else, I would assume that you have a place that you rest your head and take a break from everyday life. Also, I’m sure that you want that place as unique as it can be. Although struggles of daily life for dogs are very much up for debate, I would still argue that the need for personal space is not different for your senior dog. That is especially true since it spends a good chunk of its day slumbering. It needs a place that it can feel comfortable and secure.
- Health Issues: As with age, your dog will encounter with some –hopefully minor- health issues. Arthritis is a very common one with old dogs. This condition might affect up to one out of every five senior dogs. It is also known as degenerative joint disease. Orthopedic dog beds for senior dogs comes in very handy with this aging issue, and they might help to alleviate the pain. Also, the inability to hold urine in the bladder when they reach the limits of the dog bladder is another very common health issue with senior dogs — in other words, just peeing themselves. Luckily, we are at the golden age of the technology, and there are orthopedic waterproof dog beds that protect the dog’s beds from accidents and incontinent issues.
- Because We Love Them: I mean, do I need to say more? We want the best for our loyal, and patient senior dogs that have arthritis and granting them an orthopedic dog bed is the least we can do for them. I would get a California bed king bed for my aging golden retriever if I had enough space. That’s not to say that she doesn’t spend a considerable amount of time in mine!
Now that it is apparent that an orthopedic dog bed will be essential for your aging best friend, we can get to the list I composed by spending a lot of time to find the best dog bed for my tail-wagger. Every orthopedic dog bed that is designed specifically for senior dogs has different features, and things to look for might differ from dog to dog, considering each of them might have different needs. So, let’s check out all the orthopedic dog beds with various features:
5 Best Orthopedic Dog Beds For Senior Dogs
1. Happy Hounds Oscar Orthopedic Dog Bed
This orthopedic dog bed is specifically appropriate for senior dogs with arthritis since its 4” durable egg crate foam will of your senior dog and it will help relieve your dog’s pain if it’s suffering from arthritis.
Because the bed is reversible and one side of its made of soft microfiber and the other part of the bed is made of faux sheepskin, it is convenient for long-term use. It also comes with a removable and washable cover.
Although the features of this bed include water resistance, it is worth mentioning that it is not fully waterproof. So, if you have an elderly dog has bladder issues, you might want to go for a product that is specifically designed for such conditions.
2. Friends Forever Orthopedic Dog Bed
This bed is made of suede water resistant material it more than enough to make your dog comfortable and rest well after long walks. It is very and can even stand up to some determined digging by your pup. The bed comes with a protective cover, which is removable and machine washable. It also that your dog can rest its head on.
Moreover, it has a non-skid bottom, which might be practical. Also, hair and fur don’t embed into its fabric and easy to clean with a vacuum cleaner so it might be the sensible choice in that regard if you have a furry senior pup.
The thing that differs this bed from the others is that it includes a 1-year warranty in case you encounter a problem using the bed. We should mention that it has a fair price for its quality. It is also convenient for all sizes of dogs.
3. Big Barker Orthopedic Dog Bed
This one is trendy among the pet owners and a no-brainer if you have a large dog such as Labradors or Rottweilers. It has been made out of a therapeutic foam that is used in luxury furniture and, the bed does look like a piece of furniture, and any of its four colors should fit well in every corner of your house.
It will support an extreme comfort to your senior dog because of its velvety material and will provide extra relief to the conditions such as hip dysplasia or other joint, bone, or muscle disorders. In addition to that, this version of the bed also has a headrest that your dog can rest its head on.
The manufacturers tell that it will protect its shape mostly for at least ten years and will not flatten out. So, it can be said that it is an excellent and durable product. Besides, it is worth mentioning that this bed is fully made in America.
4. Dogbed4less Premium Waterproof Orthopedic Dog Bed
As mentioned above, getting a waterproof orthopedic dog bed for your senior dog might be a sensible thing to do if it has bladder issues, and this one is made precisely for that. Its waterproof liner and two external covers won’t soak up the urine in cases of accidents.
This one is made out of an orthopedic-grade memory foam, which provides outstanding support for any joint pain that your dog may be suffering from. It also offers good alignment support and has a more cooling sleeping surface for your best friend.
It is made of out of a durable cotton denim cover, which looks great but if you have a hairy senior pup, you might one to go for another option since it will show a lot of its hair.
It also comes with a two years warranty for manufacturing defects and any substantial sagging body impressions.
5. BarksBar Gray Orthopedic Dog Bed
This is a memory foam bed, which is excellent for optimal comfort and with its soft polyester cover. It looks cool with the luxurious quilted design on the sides.
It also has a cotton-padded rim to provide a place for your dog to rest its head on while sleeping. This bed has a removable cover, and it is machine washable, which makes it easy to clean and remove any hair that is left on the couch.
However, if you have a dog that is a chewer or likes to dig the bed with its claws, it might not be the best choice for you since its polyester is not probably the most durable one among others.