Gummy Bears

Can Dogs Eat Gummy Bears?

We hope that most of the adults know how unhealthy gummy bears are. So, willingly giving it to your dog is not an option. However, let’s say that your dog accidentally ate a bunch of gummy bears or a kid unknowingly gave it to your furry friend. In that case, you have to know the answer to the question of whether dogs can eat gummy bears.

The short answer is, dogs can’t eat gummy bears. Gummy bears have a substance called xylitol in them, and that is what makes it problematic food for dogs. This chemical is seriously toxic if eaten by dogs. In fact, gummy bears are the most dangerous thing to give to a canine.

Let’s admit that regardless of age, everyone loves gummy bears. So, you might think that it can be a good snack to offer your pup Or, your dog might have done some counter surfing, who knows.

Let’s look at what can happen if your dog consumes gummy bears and their effects on dogs to avoid any potential problems.

What Happens If My Dog Consumes Gummy Bears?

Gummy bears have a huge amount of a toxic substance called xylitol. It is a sweetener and is a chemical substitute for sugar. Yes, it does not affect humans if you have not consumed lots and lots of it. However, it is seriously risky for dogs to even eat the tiniest bit of it.

Just a few grams of xylitol can cause death to a 60lbs dog. As you might know, the chocolate has the same effect. So, what do you do if your dog eats too much of gummy bears?

The first thing to do should be watching for signs of poisoning. Just a couple of gummy bears are unlikely to cause big of a problem. However, you should still look out for symptoms such as tremors, vomiting, increased heart rate, and diarrhea.

It is always a good idea to call a vet while observing your dog for further help and support. If your dog ate more than a couple, you have to induce vomiting. This process is an extreme one, and it will probably be messy. So, at least make sure you have your dog in the shower or bathtub, or maybe somewhere that you can clean easily.

Give your dog 2 to 3 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide to cause vomiting. If your dog does not react in three minutes, send him two or three more tablespoons. When doing so, make sure that someone is in touch with your vet or medical pet care facility in your city.

Symptoms of Xylitol Toxicity

If you are not sure that your dog has eaten enough gummy bears to be poisoned, you should always look for the symptoms listed to act immediately: seizures or shaking, lethargy, abnormal stool, not walking normally, falling or collapsing, vomiting, increased heart rate, diarrhea.

If your furry friend has just eaten gummy bears and you are aware of the problem, keep a very close eye on your canine and check his behaviors for any of the mentioned signs, or anything else that is odd. Because this is not exactly an accurate interpretation of what he can suffer.

Please notify your vet immediately if you find something odd about your dog’s actions, behavior, or health, and call your vet if your dog eats xylitol-containing gummy bears. Although your dog may be treated for xylitol poisoning, it is important to detect the symptom early to improve your dog’s chances of survival.

Gummy Bears

Effects of Xylitol

Even though xylitol is safe for humans to consume, it is not the same case for dogs. Xylitol is as sweet and dangerous as refined sugar. If we do not consider the toxic effects, we can also say that it is very high in calories. That is why it can make your dog extra active for a short amount of time.

If your dog gains weight, this can bring unwanted health complications. Obesity and heart diseases are only a couple of them. Among more innocent problems, we can say that your dog will also have some cavities. Or he will start to produce much more saliva than he needs, resulting in an unwanted mess all around the house.

What to Do if Your Dog is Throwing Up After Eating Gummy Bears?

Vomiting is a very common reaction that can be caused by any food. However, if your dog is vomiting specifically after eating gummy bears, he might be suffering from xylitol poisoning. Call or contact your vet immediately to seek further help.

Make sure to check the package of the gummy bears to see if it really has xylitol in it, because your vet will probably ask about it. It is a serious situation but make sure that you remain calm and keep it under control.

Conclusion: Can Dogs Eat Gummy Bears?

Based on research about the effects of xylitol on dogs, we can confidently say that this substance is very toxic for dogs. The breed of the dog will not matter and he will get affected. That is why xylitol should be avoided and not offered to dogs. Unfortunately, gummy bears have lots of this chemical them.  

Even the tiniest bit of xylitol can give your furry friend hypoglycemia or low blood sugar.

If he is getting gummy bears by himself or someone is giving him this dangerous food, you should immediately stop it and go to a vet. If your child is unknowingly feeding him gummy bears, make sure that you make them know dogs are not allowed to eat sweets.

 

About the author: Alaaddin Sarac

I've been an avid dog enthusiast since childhood. I started this blog in hopes of helping owners find answers to questions I had after owning my first dog. This website was created as a way to share our love for all things canine with the world. From choosing the best food for your older dog to get the best beds for your tail-wagger, I aim to give you the information you need to give your dog the best care throughout his entire life.