Can Shih Tzu Eat Grapes

Can Shih Tzu Eat Grapes?

We all know the health benefits of eating fruits and vegetables. They are full of vitamins, antioxidants and fibers, and they help reduce the risk of chronic diseases. They are usually low in fat and sodium, and they give us nutrients to maintain a healthy body. However, all these benefits of eating vegetables and fruits do not apply to Shih Tzu.

Shih Tzu can’t eat grapes due to its high toxicity to canines. Grapes can cause kidney failure in Shih Tzu and other breeds of dogs disregarding their genders and sizes. If you fed your Shih Tzu grapes without knowing its fatal consequences, contact your vet immediately.

What’s Wrong with Grapes?

We know that the flesh of grapes is extremely dangerous for Shih Tzu as well as for any other dog breeds. However, we have no scientific data as to why grapes lead to serious health problems for dogs.

In this case, the size of your pooch and its gender does not matter. All dogs are susceptible to the toxicity of grapes. Grapes, when consumed by your dog, can cause kidney failure. Also, there is no safe number of grapes to be eaten by your dog. Even a small portion of grapes will lead to serious health problems and can be fatal for your Shih Tzu.

Some dog breeds react in a different way to the toxicity of grapes than other dogs. Even if your Shih Tzu did not show any symptoms after feeding him grapes, do not ever serve him grapes. Not only grapes, but raisins are also to be avoided from the menu of your Shih Tzu. Raisins have the same effect when it comes to the toxicity for dogs. Do not forget to cross these two off of your list of treats to avoid severe health damages for your pup.

Toxicity of Grapes in Shih Tzu

Merck Veterinary Manual says that the toxicity dose of grapes is 32 grams per 1 kilogram of body weight of your dog. Average grape weighs 5 grams, which means 5-6 grapes per kilogram of your dog creates toxicity. The toxicity dose of raisins is lower than grapes. A normal-sized raisin weighs about 0.5 gram, making the toxic dose nearly 6 raisins per kilogram of your pup.

What are the Symptoms of Grape Poisoning in Shih Tzu?

Symptoms toxicity of grapes and raisins in dogs do not have to show up immediately after consuming. The toxicity of grapes or raisins takes time to build up in your dog’s body. The symptoms may take 24 to 48 hours to be visible. 

If consumed regularly, the kidneys of your dog will eventually fail, and it can be fatal. If your Shih Tzu consumed grapes, you could observe lethargy, vomiting, behavioral change, lack of urination, drinking water excessively, abdominal pain, weakness, pain when touched, and loss of appetite. If he shows any change in his water intake, you’ll have to get an examination of his kidneys.

Can Shih Tzu Eat Grapes

My Shih Tzu Ate Grapes, What Should I Do?

Now that you know all the harmful and fatal consequences of feeding your dog grapes, do not keep grapes anywhere reachable for your dog. Keep them in your fridge at all times and inform your family members about the danger of grape consumption for your dog. Also, do not forget to tell them where to store them. If your Shih Tzu ate grapes, you need to call your vet as soon as possible and seek professional help. 

Time is very important when it comes to treating the toxicity of grapes. Since we do not exactly know when the toxicity of grapes would kick in, you may not have enough time to get your pup to your vet. That’s why a phone call will be the fastest way of communication and your vet will give you the necessary information and instructions on how to induce vomiting your dog to expulse the toxins.

Your vet might tell you to use hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting your dog. In that case, you need to measure 1 millilitre of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide per pound of the weight of your pooch. You should use a syringe to squirt the hydrogen peroxide into the back of his mouth. Do not give him more than 45 millilitres of hydrogen peroxide at one time no matter how much your dog weighs. If the first dose of hydrogen peroxide did not work, you could give the same amount for the second time after 15 minutes. Do not apply this method more than two times and do not forget about the 45 millilitres total limit. After second the second attempt, do not use any method of inducing vomiting and rush your pet to a vet immediately.

Your vet might ask you to give a tablespoon of salt to your dog to induce vomiting. However, do not try any forms of inducing vomiting without the confirmation of your vet. You can cause more damage by giving your dog something you are not supposed to to help him.

When you get to the vet, they might have to operate a gastric lavage or use activated charcoal do expulse the remaining toxins out of your dog’s body and protect his kidneys.

Conclusion: Can Shih Tzu Eat Grapes?

Even though fruits are vitamin-rich foods and generally very healthy for us to maintain a healthy body, they are not always good choices for our dogs. Grapes are one of them to be concerned about.

They are incredibly toxic to Shih Tzu and other breeds of dogs. Grapes, no matter how many of them are consumed, can lead to kidney failure and even death in dogs.

Induce vomiting is going to be the first method to apply to save your pup’s life. Hydrogen peroxide is going to help your dog vomit and expulse the toxins out of his body. However, it’s always recommended to take action with the instructions of your vet.

Alaaddin Sarac

I've been an avid dog enthusiast since childhood. I started this blog in hopes of helping owners find answers to questions I had after owning my first dog. This website was created as a way to share our love for all things canine with the world. From choosing the best food for your older dog to get the best beds for your tail-wagger, I aim to give you the information you need to give your dog the best care throughout his entire life.