On a hot summer day, who wouldn’t want a sip of a freshening, cold soda? While humans enjoy drinking sodas of all kinds despite being packed with unhealthy additives and sugar, it is better that dogs stick with plain old water to freshen up.
Can dogs drink Sprite then? No. Dogs should not be drinking Sprite or any other soda, for that matter. Sodas contain high amounts of sugar and caffeine, which are harmful to dogs. Depending on your dog’s breed and how much he has drunk soda, the consequences can be quite serious, even lethal.
Sprite or generally sodas contain many additives that can be harmful to dogs. We need to discuss the ingredients in-depth to understand their negative effect on our furry friends. We will also talk about what you should do if your dog happened to drink Sprite by accident.
Why is Soda Harmful to Dogs?
Since we have established that dogs cannot drink Sprite, we need to understand exactly why they can’t. There may be a number of reasons from additives to preservatives found in sodas. However, the main problem lies in two distinct ingredients: caffeine and sugar.
Many humans can have caffeine every day without having any problems. However, animals like dogs are sensitive to caffeine more than humans. This means what you are experiencing after too many cups of coffee equal to what your dog experiences when he drinks Sprite. It is too much for them.
After consuming caffeine, pets experience increased heart rate. As a result, they become hyperactive. When dogs are hyperactive, they cannot sit still, they may become shaky, and they may also bark more than usual.
Increased heart rate is not the only side effect of caffeine. It also causes blood pressure to increase, which may lead to cardiac arrhythmias. It is a serious condition that needs to be avoided if possible. In some cases, caffeine consumption can result in having seizures. Dogs that consume excessive caffeine may become feverish and leap into a coma.
Sugar is one of the ingredients that should be avoided when it comes to a dog’s diet. Sugar raises blood sugar levels in dogs shortly after being ingested and drops it suddenly afterword. Like caffeine, dogs become hyperactive after consuming sugar. It can also cause diarrhea as a short-term side effect.
However, consuming sugar regularly can have serious consequences. Sugar causes obesity in dogs, which leads to problems in joints and tendons. Obesity also raises the risk of diabetes and cancer in dogs.
In severe cases, consumption of sugar can lead to blindness as a result of diabetes, along with difficulty in walking and arthritis.
Some sodas contain xylitol, which is a sweetener that is used in place of sugar. Xylitol can be very dangerous for dogs to consume, even in small amounts. Xylitol is known for causing a sudden drop in blood sugar levels. This eventually may lead to hypoglycemia as well as brain damage. It can also cause liver failure. When Xylitol poisoning occurs, it may be lethal if not treated immediately.
Symptoms of Caffeine Poisoning
While a few laps of soda may not be harmful to your dog, caffeine poisoning is a serious condition that affects small and big breed dogs differently depending on how much it was consumed. Avoid giving Sprite or soda to your dog to be on the safe side since the amount of caffeine and sugar a soda contains can be different and be highly toxic for your pup.
The common symptoms of caffeine poisoning include:
- Raised heart rate
Symptoms of Xylitol Poisoning
Depending on the amount of xylitol consumed, the symptoms of poisoning might change. The side effects are usually seen not long after consumption.
The common symptoms of xylitol poisoning include:
- Difficulty in mobility
What to Do if Your Dog Has Drank Sprite?
If you are suspicious that your dog has drunk Sprite, observe him carefully as the side effects of consuming sugar and caffeine can be seen shortly after ingestion. If your pup is experiencing any of the symptoms mentioned above, contact your veterinarian immediately.
Depending on how much Sprite your dog drank, the consequences of it can be quite serious and even deadly. Contacting a veterinarian as soon as possible raises the change of recovery for your pup before things get worse.
Stick with Plain Water
You might want to treat your pup with a different drink once in a while, however, it is always better to keep his water bowl filled with fresh and clean water. Drinking enough water every day is vital for dogs’ health.
Make sure to never leave his water bowl empty so that he drinks from it whenever he is thirty. It is also good to have a bottle of water with you when you are going on walks with your dog.
Try not to feed your dog with a food or drink that is made for humans to consume. Such food and beverages contain many ingredients that can lead to serious illnesses in dogs. If you want to treat your pup, choose products that are made specifically for dogs.
Conclusion: Can Dogs Drink Sprite?
If you are wondering whether dogs can drink Sprite or not, let us tell you. No, they cannot. Sprite, as well as other sodas, contains caffeine and sugar, which are toxic and dangerous ingredients for dogs to consume. Drinking soda can cause caffeine poisoning as well as xylitol poisoning in dogs.
If you suspect that your dog has drunk Sprite, observe him and see if he experiences hyperactivity, vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness, increased heart rate, shaking, or seizures after consumption. If you realize that your pup is showing one or more of the symptoms mentioned, contact your veterinarian immediately since caffeine and xylitol poisoning can be lethal depending on the dose of consumption.