Dog Ate Candy Wrapper

Dog Ate Candy Wrapper. What to Do?

It’s time for Halloween, and there are different corners of the home where parents hide delicious candies and treats for the kids. Not only will the kids be interested in those delicious treats, but the candies can catch the attention of your pup as well with their fancy, shiny wrappers. If you suspect that your dog ate candy wrappers, the situation will require immediate reaction.

Candies and wrappers both pose serious damage to dogs’ health since they might have toxic materials to dogs as candies may contain xylitol, chocolate, or raisins, and the candy wrappers might cause blockage and obstruction in the digestive process. If you worry that your dog might have eaten candy wrappers along with the candies, contact your vet and seek professional help immediately.

My Dog Ate Candy Wrapper, What Should I Do?

If you see that the bowl of candies scattered all around the floor, and you worry that your pooch might have eaten some of them, including their wrappers, stay calm but act immediately.

If the wrapper is small, there is a chance that the wrapper will pass through your dog’s intestines as a part of the digestive process. In this case, the size of the wrapper can be determining. 

Small wrappers may go through the intestines and not cause much of a big problem for your dog. However, it can get stuck on the lining of your pet’s stomach and stay there for three to five days.

This situation can make it hard for the wrapper to be detected by an X-ray.           On the other hand, the wrapper can cause blockage and obstruction in the digestive process, and this can lead to vomiting. It is also possible that the wrapper will not go through your dog’s throat, and this may cause choking.

If you think your dog might have eaten candy wrappers, observe him and check if he shows any symptoms of lethargy, weakness, difficulty walking, shaking, seizures, problems with passing a stool, bloating, or any other unusual reaction. In case you observe any of these symptoms, call your vet immediately and ask for help.

If your pup ate the wrapper not long ago, you can get him to your vet, and your vet will possibly pump his stomach to expulse the wrappers. If he ate them long ago, the vet might instruct you to apply inducing vomiting.

If your pooch has a problem with pooping, your vet may require a check-up and an X-Ray. The situation mostly does not require surgery. Your vet may use a lubricant to expulse the wrappers from his intestines.

Why Candies Can be Dangerous

First of all, you will need to worry about what was in that wrapper as much as the wrapper itself if your dog ate them. There are countless types of candies designed and produced for different taste buds. Some of those candies can contain toxic ingredients for dogs, such as xylitol, chocolate, and raisins.

Xylitol

Xylitol is a sugar substitute that is highly toxic for dogs and should be avoided entirely. Many products, especially sweets that are made for humans, can contain xylitol and should be kept out of the reach of dogs. 

Bubble gums mostly contain xylitol and are definitely are a no-no for dogs. Also, treats such as jelly beans, gummy bears, candy canes, and candy corn can contain xylitol. 

Xylitol can cause hypoglycemia even if it’s consumed in small amounts. Symptoms of xylitol poisoning are vomiting, weakness, tremors, seizures, and lethargy. It can even lead to death.

Dog Ate Candy Wrapper

Chocolate

Chocolate is dangerous for dogs because it contains chemicals, namely theobromine, and caffeine. Dogs are not able to process and metabolize these chemicals as humans do, which can create health issues.

The most dangerous chocolate types are baking chocolate and dark chocolate, as they can contain up to 450 mg of theobromine per ounce. Milk chocolate and white chocolate are less dangerous compared to baking chocolate and dark chocolate; however, they are still not safe for dogs.

If your dog ate a chocolate candy with the wrapper, it might cause serious health problems. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning can be observed as drooling, diarrhea, vomiting, high blood pressure, and even seizures. If your dog ate a chocolate candy with or without its wrapper on it, seek professional help immediately.

If candy wrapper was eaten along with the chocolate candy inside, it can lead to seizures, vomiting, coordination problems, and even liver failure as the candy can contain the aforementioned toxic ingredients.

Raisins

Even though the cause is not known, we know that raisins are incredibly toxic for dogs. Some candy treats can contain raisins in them, and if your dog ate those candies, the situation would require instant reaction and care. When it comes to the toxicity of raisins, the gender of dogs or the size does not matter, and there is no safe number of raisins for consumption. 

Raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs and can be even fatal. Toxicity of raisins shows up itself as lethargy, abdominal pain, dehydration, stillness, and increased thirst. If your dog ate raisin candies, time is crucial, and the treatment is critical. If your dog shows any sign of discomfort, contact your vet immediately.

How to Prevent Dogs from Eating Candy Wrappers

The best thing to do when it comes to preventing your dog from eating candies with their wrappers is to store them somewhere they cannot reach. Also, do not forget to inform household members about the seriousness of the situation and its potential consequences. After you eat your candies, do not forget to put them back where your pet cannot reach.

Conclusion: Dog Ate Candy Wrapper. What to Do?

If your dog ate candy wrappers, it is a red alert, and you need to observe your dog very carefully. Candy wrappers can cause choking and blockage and obstructions in intestines. If the wrapper is small and your dog is considerably big in size, it might not cause a big problem.

It may take three to five days for the wrapper to pass the intestines of your dog. However, if you observe symptoms of continuing discomfort in your dog, do not wait for a second more to contact your vet and get professional help as your pet might have eaten the wrapper with candy inside that can contain toxic ingredients.